Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Ode to the Amish Friendship Bread

My final installment of my adventures of Amish Friendship Bread:

Ode to the Amish Friendship Bread

By Lorie

Go, for it calls you, Baker, from the kitchen:
Go, Baker, and release the fermenting dough:
No longer leave thy wistful concoction unfed,
Nor let thy aromas cease to fill the room,
Nor daily mushings lightly tread.
But when the time is finally ripe,
And you hear it calling, calling the best,
And only the plastic container will do,
Stir, and conquer and divide -
Come, Baker and again begin the quest.


Go, for it calls you, Baker from the kitchen,
Go, Baker, and begin your daily mushing,
Mushing, mushing, of the dough.
Releasing air from gently filled bag,
It’s scent fills your nostrils ,high and low.
And here till, sundown, Baker will I be,
Till I can no longer take the mushing
And feeding of this inventive treat-
Please forgive me, my Amish friends
For the garbage can my start did meet.



2 comments:

Erin said...

I had no idea you were such a poet! I love it. :)

Phil said...

Hi Lorie,
I love your blog! I love the poem! We miss you!
Your favorite nephew in law,
phil